Saturday, February 13, 2010

Speaking of movies, I just heard some news that was very interesting to me. Apparently the Coen brothers are remaking True Grit. Wow. This is like a supernova in my personal universe, because True Grit is one of my favorite movies and perhaps my favorite book of all time--or at least in the top ten--and Charles Portis is one of my favorite authors. Believe it or not, one of my major inspirations for Xombies was True Grit, which is readily apparent if you read the two books. A lot of idiots think True Grit is only notable because the movie had John Wayne in it. The hell with John Wayne--True Grit is amazing because it is both a hilarious satire and a loving homage to the Western genre...while also being the best Western ever written. In the Coen's remake, the Rooster Cogburn role (John Wayne's part) is going to Jeff Bridges, which is pretty perfect casting. The other key character is the tough-girl narrator, Mattie Ross, who was terrifically played by Kim Darby in the original film. Whoever they get for her, I hope she's good. But it's the Coens, so I'm not worried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home