Monday, November 23, 2009

Hey, saw a very interesting movie over the weekend: Antichrist, directed by Danish director Lars von Trier (Breaking the Waves). It stars Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg as a couple whose young son is killed in an accident due to their slight negligence, and how the husband--a professional therapist--tries to help his wife cope with her extreme grief by taking her to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad idea. I don't want to give too much away, but basically the situation leads to a total psychotic breakdown, with both characters having weird, horrifying visions and eventually doing the most awful things to themselves and each other.

My wife did not enjoy this movie at all, and it is pretty disturbing stuff, but I was engrossed throughout (as well as grossed-out). I felt that I had experienced a very personal expression by filmmakers who were definitely not guided by market research or mainstream prudery. I always admire that, because I am so tired of watered-down filmmaking by committee. This movie has the courage of its evil convictions, and it doesn't flinch from showing anything and everything. It's also beautifully shot. But if you see it, don't blame me if it makes you want to barf. You brought it on yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home