Thursday, August 06, 2009

Last Comic-Con report, hopefully:

So...it was finally time for my panel discussion--Monster Mash, Room 2. This was only my second time taking part in a panel (the first being at ThrillerFest two weeks previous), and this one promised to be pretty well-attended, since one of the other authors was Amber Benson--Willow's girlfriend on Buffy the Vampire Slayer--who was promoting her novel Death's Daughter. A friend of mine had half-jokingly offered me a thousand bucks to let him impersonate me, just so he could meet Amber. The other authors on the panel were Rob Thurman (Deathwish), Alice Henderson (Voracious), and S. G. Browne (Breathers).

Climbing the stage I was a bit nervous, but attempted to act cool as I shook hands with the other panelists and poured myself a cup of water. I could see my friends Dave and Steve in the audience, giving me a thumbs-up. After that, everything was a blur. The moderator asked questions, and we on the panel attempted to answer intelligently...or at least interestingly. I know I yammered a lot about my book, trying to dispel any notion that it was misogynistic to have all the women in the world become raving monsters--Xombies--who prey on men. What I was doing, I explained, was merely turning the tables on men. Making women the brutal, dangerous sex, and men their ravished victims. It's a terrifying situation, yet not without its funny side, especially since my narrator is a young woman who must coexist on a submarine with a bunch of traumatized, paranoid guys.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurry up with your next Xombies book.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I am pissed. How dare you tell the world about my offer - I do NOT do anything HALFWAY. I demand that you make correction.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home