Sunday, August 16, 2009

Nice--I just bought a used copy of Cormac McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian, which I'll read as soon as I finish The Three Musketeers. I've been a fan of McCarthy's work ever since I read The Crossing some years ago, and it was no surprise to me when I heard the Coen brothers were adapting his book No Country For Old Men into a movie, because they also have that pitch-black sense of humor--witness Fargo. That was why I was a bit disappointed in McCarthy's The Road, just because it was so unrelievedly somber. Come on, what's funnier than the end of the world? The idea of pushing a squeaky-wheeled shopping cart through an apocalyptic wasteland should have been painfully hilarious...not just painful. I'll be interested to see how the movie version handles it--two hours of dust and gloom is not exactly Hollywood gold. Somebody needs to remake A Boy and His Dog.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Walter, It's been a long time but your book Xombies has stuck with me - I'm such a zombie fan I just finished reading World War Z by M. Brooks - when will your book be a movie!! I heard the book Cell had some hopes of a movie. I loved your book and it is actually signed by you! from the Silvercity Borders - pushing broken grocery carts through a wasteland is funny - like the movie Fallen is actually very funny!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Walter Greatshell said...

Thanks, Anon--I appreciate that. Yeah, I've heard that World War Z and Cell are both going to be movies (I'm really looking forward to Zombieland too), so the big-budget Xombies movie is overdue. But with Xombies being re-released in September (as Xombies: Apocalypse Blues) and its sequel coming out in March, I have a feeling things are about to get crazy.

Thanks again for the love!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home